Twin Creeks Conservation Reserve
Bo Janmaat @BoJanmaat Photography
The 511 hectare (1260 acres) Twin Creeks Community Conservation Reserve, part of Australia’s National Reserve System, is situated on Knight Road in the valley of the Kalgan, between the Porongurup National Park to the south and the Stirling Range National Park to the north. The Reserve, owned by the Friends of the Porongurup Range, was purchased in 2004 in order to preserve and protect the remnant vegetation which contains a rich diversity of plant species. The National Reserve system is made up of Commonwealth, state and territory reserves, Indigenous lands and protected areas run by non-profit conservation organizations and private landowners.
Past agricultural clearing has resulted in fragmentation of the native vegetation between the Porongurup National Park and the Stirling Range National Park. Remnant vegetation covers about 10% of the landscape resulting in the isolation of many flora and fauna species. To the north of Twin Creeks lies a 600ha private property with protected vegetation. Together with Twin Creeks, the two properties form a vital parcel of land in the flora and fauna corridors between the two National Parks.
Significant corridors are being created and enhanced by the Oyster Harbour Catchment Group’s Ranges Link Project which ultimately becomes part of the greater Gondwana Link of Western Australia’s southwest. www.gondwanalink.org